Wondering how much to pay your babysitter? UrbanSitter surveyed and compiled data from 7,500 families across the US to calculate the average hourly rates for babysitters, nannies, and mother’s helpers.
– click on graphic to zoom –
- New York City is the most expensive city for childcare. In NYC, the average babysitting rate for one child is $15.34 per hour. For more reasonable babysitting rates head to Denver, where the average pay starts at $10.84 an hour.
- How much to pay the nanny? The national average for nanny pay is $14.97/hour for one child, $17.12 for two children, and $18.27 for three children.
- Sorry, no free rides. 56% of parents surveyed never pay for a babysitter’s transportation home or offer them a ride.
- Tipping etiquette. Most parents just “round up” when tipping the babysitter. 27% never tip the sitter.