If you live in the Northern Hemisphere, today is reason to celebrate. It’s officially the first day of summer! Technically, today at 7:08 pm EDT marks this year’s summer solstice, the exact time when the sun is the farthest north in the sky. It is also the longest day of the year. More than enough reason to celebrate!
Grab your kids and whoop and holler together! Cheer for sunshine, freedom from routines, and for all the simple pleasures that are a part of the season!
- Get outside. Whether it’s a rooftop deck, a stoop, a park or your backyard. Feel the sun, hop, skip and jump!
- Visit a farmer’s market and create a picnic with your finds. Don’t forget to include big slices of watermelon!
- Stay up and catch fireflies. Click here for directions on how to make your own recycled bug jars.
- Pitch a tent in the living room and read to your kids by flashlight.
- If it’s raining , go jump in the puddles!
- Make a summer soundtrack by downloading summertime favorites and scream, “Dance Party!”
Need a break from those endless summer days? Find and book a summer sitter in minutes at UrbanSitter.