Once you’ve booked a few babysitting jobs through UrbanSitter, you might have more advanced questions about using the website. Here are a few helpful tips based on the questions most frequently asked by babysitters.
Advanced Tips & Questions About UrbanSitter
Getting Babysitting Jobs
1. Prevent job requests for times I’m not “available.” By default parents can send you job requests for any timeslot. To limit requests to only the times you have marked as “available” on your calendar, got to your Account Settings and select the option to Allow parents to “Send interview/job requests only for times when I show available.” This also works well if you’re going out of town and don’t want any requests.
2. How to fix my availability calendar. Over time, you may have added multiple availability timeslots for the same day, which ends up crowding your calendar with too many green bars. To fix this, click on an individual timeslot and hit Delete. Or, if it’s easier to start from scratch, go to the bottom right of your calendar page and click on “Remove all availability from my calendar.”
3. How to decline a job. When declining a request, you’re provided with the opportunity to send the parent a message. Take advantage of this opportunity to thank the parent and ask them to consider you for future jobs. If you have babysitter friends on UrbanSitter, you’ll also see the option to refer them for the job.
4. Adding jobs. Sometimes parents forget to book you through UrbanSitter and you’d really like to get the job on your calendar to keep organized. As long as the parent has booked you once before through UrbanSitter, you can add the job yourself using the Add Jobs tool. The parent will receive a notification when you do, so the job appears on everyone’s calendars. This is a great way to earn your “Repeat Families” badge. Add Jobs now.
5. Asking parents you’ve worked with for a review. UrbanSitter automatically sends an email after any job you complete asking the parents to leave a review for you. If that doesn’t get their attention, you might consider asking for a review in-person at the end of your jobs. You also may send a message through the job booking to say thank you and ask for a review.
6. Managing my reputation. Even stellar sitters occasionally receive neutral or negative reviews from parents. It’s best to take these in stride and keep it in perspective. You should not harass the parent to take their review down. You might consider upgrading to Premium membership, which includes an option to reply to reviews. Reply to reviews, both glowing and negative, to show parents how engaged you are as a babysitter. Your reply will appear next to the review and it will be visible to all parents (including ones who might hire you), so choose words thoughtfully.
Other Common Questions
8. How do I get a CPR-trained badge? You may notice that some sitters have a “CPR-trained at ___” badge icon on their profile. To earn this badge, you must attend an UrbanSitter sponsored CPR training event. These events are offered periodically in our major cities. To find out about these events, join the Babysitter Facebook Group.
9. How do I report an issue? For technical issues with the site, you should email firstname.lastname@example.org with as many details as possible. Describe what the issue is, which web browser you are using, and when it happened. That way, our Support Team can diagnose the problem and try to fix it. For issues relating to a job or parent, you should email email@example.com, or if there is suspicious or undesirable behavior you should submit a flag by click the flag icon on our website and contact additional authorities if you feel it’s appropriate.
10. Understanding credit card payments. As a sitter, you are never charged for using the direct deposit feature to receive a credit card payment from a parent. UrbanSitter can only deposit money into the bank account you sync on the Payment page. Parents must pay for a Premium monthly or annual membership to gain access to the credit card payment tool. There is no “per job” fee for parents to use this feature.*
11. Explaining how much UrbanSitter costs to a parent. You may be asked by a parent to explain how much UrbanSitter will cost them. The easiest response is to direct them to UrbanSitter’s Support page: https://www.urbansitter.com/support and point out the FAQ: Do I have to pay to use UrbanSitter? There are two parent membership options at this time in most major cities:
- Unlimited Access. Unlimited Access membership offers the best value with unlimited sitter interviews and hiring, premium website features, and the convenience of paying sitters by credit card. Unlimited Access membership costs $24.95 for the first month plus $9.95 each additional month or $99.95 annually.
- Pay Per Sitter. This option allows parents to connect with one sitter at a time. When a parent goes to book a sitter for the first time, they will be charged a one-time $14.95 fee. Once a parent is connected to a sitter, they can continue to book that specific sitter for jobs at no additional cost.
12. How do I get invited to an UrbanSitter local event? Occasionally, UrbanSitter hosts local events where babysitters can meet local families. The types of events range from casual street fairs to Speed Sitting events, where a dozen sitters and a dozen parents take turns interviewing each other like speed dating. Check the Job Board for these opportunities.
13. Upgrade to Premium Membership to boost your business:
- Background check. Some parents will only hire sitters who have a background check so this can help you land jobs.
- Higher ranking in search results – Increases your visibility when parents search for sitters.
- Add a personal message when you apply to jobs on the Job Board.
- Reputation management tools – Get notified and reply to reviews
- And more! Learn more.
For beginner tips, view Tips for Sitters – Getting Started. You may also be interested in joining the UrbanSitter Babysitter Facebook Group to find out about local events and connect with other sitters.
Have a specific question about UrbanSitter or your account? Visit the Support Center.
*Unlimited Access membership not available in all areas. For areas without Unlimited Access membership, a $7.50 service fee is applied for credit card transactions.